Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Strength When Weary

Note: I started to write weekly while I was deployed, sharing some devotional thoughts about one of the Revised Lectionary Readings. I've decided to continue the exercise. I hope you find my musings helpful. They're not meant to be an in depth study of the reading, but simply some reflections on how I heard the reading today. Thanks for reading. I hope it touches your life in some way. Comments are always welcome.

Have you not known? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and strengthens the powerless. Even youths will faint and be weary, and the young will fall exhausted; but those who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:28-31 NRSV)
I have found myself looking for strength a lot lately. I've been home for just over three months and it has been a whirlwind of holidays, reconnecting, and...funerals. I know it's not as hard for me as it is for the families who have lost their loved ones, but it has been draining to bring a word of hope and promise over and over again in the midst of grief. 

As I've struggled with the losses of my own life, I have relied on the strength of a God who doesn't grow weary. God never fails to bring comfort and peace into my own journey. The moment my mom died I found a peace I still don't really understand, but was able to recognize. When I have felt myself growing weary and feeling faint, I know that God will find a way to bring me the strength I need. I can't imagine going on this journey without that strength renewing me and bearing me with wings like eagles. I can't imagine life any other way. 

And then I think of all those who haven't heard; all those who haven't known the love of our everlasting God. Many people haven't heard. Many people are trying to face their trials and pain without knowing that God is at work. I hope you've heard. And after you've heard, I hope you remember to share the news with someone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment