Thursday, September 22, 2016

Holding on for the Plunge

Take a look at this picture. What do you see? You might focus on the intent stare on Owen's face as he tries to figure out what is happening and why his head is wet. You might see a hand ready to go back into the water to continue to enact the promise of God. You might see the witness of a sponsor - who remains in the background as we only see his shirt and arm.

You might see that, and indeed those are all elements of this occasion. I see two little, balled, baby fists; holding on for dear life. 

This was my first baptism as the pastor of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church. It happened outside of our ordinary worship services out of necessity, but God was still very present. It was a holy moment, as all baptisms are, and it is always a moment of great joy for me as a pastor to be a part of these moments of profound unqualified grace.

But the more I look at this picture, the more I am entranced by Owen's hands. He was a bit squirmy, not really comfortable with me holding him. Or maybe he just wanted to see what was happening. I didn't realize at the time that he was holding onto my sleeve so tightly. I knew his father's arm was nearby, but I couldn't see that he was also holding onto an extended finger.

What an incredibly important image for us to remember. God is acting in the water through the promise of the Word. God is present in the witness of the community. And God is present, in the support that comes from both the community (which I represent) and a parent. As Owen holds on to these two realities, he's ready for the plunge. He's ready for the cleansing water of God; as much as any of us are ready.

He held on. He was washed. He continues to hold on. And now our job is to keep him plunging daily into and out of the washing water of God's promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment